It is the only known photograph showing six of the seven children of Christian and Amanda Hanneman, pioneers of Portage and Wood counties in Wisconsin. The undated photo was probably taken around 1915 at a family event. Left to right are:
- William Friedrich Johann Hanneman (1856-1939)
- Bertha Auguste Ernestine (Hanneman) Bartelt (1860-1945)
- Albert Friedrich O. Hanneman (1863-1932)
- Herman Charles Hanneman (1864-1945)
- Carl Friedrich Christian Hanneman (“Chas,” 1866-1932)
- Ernestine Wilhelmine Caroline (Hanneman) Timm (1870-1930)
The sibling not pictured is August Friedrich Ferdinand Hanneman (1858-1902).
Along with their parents, this group came to America in late November 1882 aboard the SS Katie. They were the last of the Matthias Hannemann family to come to America from the Baltic Duchy of Pomerania (now part of Poland and Germany). The Hannemann clan (the name was eventually shortened to Hanneman) settled in and around the hamlet of Kellner in central Wisconsin.
Family Line: Matthias Hannemann >> Carl Frederick Christian Hannemann >> Carl Henry Frank Hanneman >> David D., Donn and Lavonne Hanneman.©2014 The Hanneman Archive