When one of my sisters first showed me this photograph, I knew it was a major discovery. We know the occasion (Mom and Dad’s engagement party) and the time frame (June 1958). The task ahead is to identify every one of the 26 people in the photo. After discovering the medium-format negative, I scanned the photo larger to aid with identifications.
David D. Hanneman and Mary K. Mulqueen were married on August 9, 1958 at St. Veronica Catholic Church in Milwaukee. About two months prior, an engagement party was held in their honor. I’m not fully sure of the location, but it could be at the Cudahy home of my grandparents, Earl J. Mulqueen Sr. and Margaret (Dailey) Mulqueen.
We’ve made pretty good headway on photo identifications with the help of the then-bride-to-be and her sisters. The result so far? Of 26 people, only five remain unidentified, with one additional identification being tentative. View the full-size version of the photo here.
Since this post was first published, readers have identified several more people in the photograph. Elaine Hanneman reports that No. 2 is Bob Ripp, No. 24 is his wife, Marjean, and No. 4 is Ruby Curtis. At this party, Donn G. Hanneman and Tinker Mulqueen recognized each other from serving in the U.S. Navy during World War II, Elaine said.
- Possibly Lois (Detlaff) Mulqueen (Identified by Jean Mulqueen Maule)
- Bob Ripp (identified by Elaine Hanneman)
- Vina M. (Tucker) Seely (1919-2008)
- Ruby Curtis (identified by Elaine Hanneman)
- Donn G. Hanneman (1926-2014)
- Elaine M. (Kline) Hanneman
- Ruby V. (Treutel) Hanneman (1904-1977)
- Margaret M. (Dailey) Mulqueen (1895-1982)
- Ruth (Cieszynski) Mulqueen (1926-2008)
- Mary K. Mulqueen
- David D. Hanneman (1933-2007)
- Eleanor (Deutsch) Mulqueen (1929-1963)
- Donald J. Dailey (1935-2009)
- Thomas H. Dailey (1904-1983)
- Joan (Mulqueen) Haske
- Friend of Joan (Mulqueen) Haske
- Earl J. Mulqueen Jr. (1923-1980)
- Tinker Mulqueen (1926-2007)
- Joseph A. Mulqueen (1944-2015)
- Edward J. Mulqueen (1931-1991)
- Marie A. Mulqueen (1925-2010)
- Lavonne (Hanneman) Wellman (1937-1986)
- Marjean Ripp (identified by Elaine Hanneman)
- Florence (White) Dailey (1869-1966)
- James Grattan Seely (1916-1990)
If you recognize any of the unknowns, leave a comment below so we can update this post.
Below is the original photo without the numbering. You can access a high-resolution version here.
This article has been updated with the names of several previously unknown individuals.
©2017 The Hanneman Archive